Tour Stop 1: L.P. Grant Mansion – 327 St. Paul Avenue
Atlanta Preservation Center
In December 2001, the Atlanta Preservation Center (APC) purchased the antebellum Grant Mansion, saving it from demolition. When the house was built, it was rectangular in shape, terminated at each corner by giant order pilasters. A central door with sidelights and fanlight was flanked by a pair of floor-to-ceiling, two-by-five windows. On the second floor were three balancing pairs of two-by-four windows. A heavy cornice surrounded the original house and was divided into “bays” using paired brackets that supported the moderate-sized eaves of the building. The roof was hipped and contained two gable dormers with two-by-three windows near the center front and single dormers on each side facade. Deep porches supported by four fluted, square Doric columns appear on each side of the house.
The stucco Italianate mansion was built between 1854 and 1856 by Lemuel Pratt Grant (1817-1893) and Laura Loomis Williams Grant (1820 – 1879). L. P. Grant was a city pioneer, railroad magnate, and philanthropist who also donated 100 acres to the city for Grant Park. His wife was born in Richmond, Virginia, and was raised in Decatur, Georgia. They married in 1843 and together had four children in this house: John, Myra, Lemuel Jr., and Lettie. The house is also the birthplace of golf legend Robert Tyre “Bobby” Jones and was at one time stewarded by Margaret Mitchell, author of the book turned movie, Gone with the Wind.
In 2006, APC completed the stabilization of the historic walls and, in 2007, purchased an adjoining lot to return the property to its 1906 boundaries. Since 2008, APC has reinstalled the floor and roof of the exposed east and west wings and repaired the historic windows. The restoration continues of this significant home has incorporated original materials throughout the building. It continues to serve its mission and community to this day.