Tour Stop 4: 626 Ormewood Avenue
Gavin George and Chris Chadwick
Referred to by the owners as a “transitional” Victorian with Arts and Crafts influence, this home was built in 1911 for $2,300 and was originally numbered 32 before being re-numbered to 626. There have only been four homeowners in its 111-year history, and the second owner, the Martin-Zellner family, owned it for 83 years.
Gavin and Chris were drawn to the spacious deck and large backyard, the even larger “yard” across the street known as Grant Park, and the amount of natural light that fills the home. They made a minor refresh of the kitchen, living room, dining room, and guest bedroom suite in 2015, followed by an extensive renovation in 2019 that added a second story, two bedrooms, two and a half bathrooms, a wet bar, pantry, new kitchen, keeping room, laundry room, and finished basement.
Notice the original Arts and Crafts tile on the dining room fireplace, dining room pocket doors, heart of pine floors throughout the house, never-painted trim, and coffered ceilings, and the original thermostat for the coal furnace that’s mounted to the baseboard in the main hallway. During the 2019 renovation, the original interior doors were repurposed into the new build.