Tour Stop 4

Tour Stop 4
500 Park Avenue
Marty & Leon, son Colin & their Labrador retriever Tanner

Built: 1910
Style: Traditional Craftsman
Don’t Miss: Upstairs addition looks but is new

Earlier this year, Marty and Leon, who’d lived in Grant Park and moved away over a decade ago, happened upon an open house at 500 Park Avenue.  After only being there a few minutes, they knew they had to move back to their old neighborhood.  More than anything, the deciding factors for them were the big front porch and the location directly across from the park.

Originally a two-bedroom, one-bathroom home with a sleeping porch, this Craftsman bungalow was built for a Ms. Amerson – who was the pianist for the neighboring Park Avenue Baptist Church – by her father.  In 2005, the home was still mostly intact with its original floor plan and was purchased from her estate and lovingly renovated and expanded to include a second story as well as a rear addition.

Today, this five-bedroom, three-bathroom home still has its original pine floors, bay windows with leaded glass and wavy glass front door and windows. Not only were many of its original features kept during the renovation, but the upstairs and back addition were carefully designed to complement the rest of the house.  The renovation produced a large eat-in kitchen with built-ins overlooking the stone courtyard, while the upstairs addition gave the house three additional bedrooms, a bathroom and even a study, all with repurposed older windows, five- and six-panel pine doors and even reclaimed flooring to blend with the old.  Art gathered from travels throughout the US and Europe over the years now adorns the walls.