Tour Stop 3

Tour Stop 3
962 Boulevard SE
Eric, Christine, Solomon, Abraham, Benjamin and Levi Bloomquist 

Built: 1912
Style: Craftsman Bungalow
Don’t Miss: Original coffered ceiling in living room

Even though it sat in foreclosure for many years before the Bloomquists purchased it, 962 Boulevard still had so many original features that they fell in love with it the moment they saw it.In 1912, builders J.E. Tippen and Henry Harper completed the original structure and sold it for $12,000. Owners over the years included Zellmer and Nettie Pettet, who were heavily involved in the Grant Park community and owned the home from 1916 until 1950.  Miss Mattie K. Hardman was a tenant in the house as early as the 1930s, and she subsequently bought the home in 1950.  (The Hardman grandchildren recently visited the house and brought many pictures and stories).  Miss Hardman was the last long-term owner-occupant before the home became a boarding house from the 1970s through the early 2000s, briefly serving as an outpost of Ma Hull’s famous Inman Park kitchen around 1980.

Shortly after closing on the property in 2014, the Bloomquists started a renovation process that lasted a full year. Today, the home is a completely restored four-bedroom, three-bathroom classic example of the American Craftsman bungalow (also called a “Transitional” bungalow) that represented a shift from Victorian architecture to more of an Arts & Crafts style.

The original heart pine hardwood floors, six-panel doors, and picture molding are still present throughout the house as are the coffered ceilings, plate molding and original mantles in the front rooms. In fact, the living room was largely untouched during the renovation other than painting and refinishing the original flooring.